St. Clair Ross Cemetery, Adams County
St. Clair Ross Cemetery
US 85 at 124th Ave
Cemetery is not active. Sign erected by the Adams County Historical Society
Take US 85 North to 124th Ave. Go west on 124th. Cemetery is on the Southwest corner.
|St. Clair Ross Cemetery Fast Facts|
|GPS Coordinates:||UTM 13 S|
|Number of Records: ||4|
|Number of Missing Markers: ||?|
|Number of Broken Markers: ||0|
|Number of Irreparable Markers: ||0|
|Overall Condition: ||Fences have large openings in the west near the entrance, but otherwise in good repair. The cemetery grounds are covered with mostly weeds and trash. There are numerous prairie dog burrows, so watch your step.|
|Date surveyed:||November 27, 2008|
This small cemetery was part of the United Brethren Church grounds. The church is long gone, and while the lot is at least 2 acres in size, there is one small fenced-in plot where the graves remain.
The markers in the small plot are all intact, and each grave has a matching footstone. No other evidence of grave markers could be found throughout the grounds.
The Cemetery is marked by a wooden sign on the western border
erected by the Adams County Historical Society. It was placed in 1975, and looks like nothing has been done with the sign since then. This pioneer cemetery is next to a busy highway, and is all but forgotten.
The one plot contains but 4 graves. Three of these are members of the Wolpert family. The smallest marker of the group belongs to a G. H. Long, who died in 1878, at the age of seven.
More research on this cemetery is in progress.